Compliance Monitoring and Testing, Manager
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Coinbase, Inc. Compliance Monitoring and Testing (“CMT”) Group is an independent oversight function that is responsible for the planning and execution of testing and monitoring activities to assess whether the processes and controls supporting the compliance framework are designed and operating effectively. The Coinbase, Inc. CMT Group maintains the global policy and procedure for CMT activity enterprise wide and coordinates with the CMT group in the International Compliance Team to determine global processes, standards, documentation and test plans. The CMT Group collaborates with other members of the Enterprise Risk Management, Compliance, Legal, Internal Audit, and business functions in the execution of its mandate.In this role, you will be a highly technical individual contributor responsible for supporting the CMT group leaders in developing, managing, executing, and continuously improving the CMT Program.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Assist in designing, implementing, and enhancing enterprise-wide CMT Program methodologies and governance documents.
- Participate in developing a risk-based annual CMT plan in collaboration with Compliance staff in the International, Institutional, Product, Tools and BSA/AML Teams.
- Inspect and assess compliance with laws, regulations, and best practices for financial services by developing, maintaining, and optimizing complex SQL queries.
- Contribute to the creation of periodic reporting for the annual CMT plan progress, results, and status of remediation plans.
- Lead and/or perform assigned CMT activities in the life cycle of planning, execution, reporting, and issue remediation, and provide escalation as needed.
- Prepare reports on results of CMT activities and work with stakeholders in root cause analysis and remediation plans.
- Maintain issues and remediation-related information and documentation in a central repository - Archer.
- Track and validate the implementation of remediation plans submitted by issue owners to verify that issues identified during testing and monitoring are remediated.
- Participate in training and/or awareness materials (as needed) regarding the CMT Program.
- Stay current on regulatory development and industry events to identify trends and emerging risks impacting Coinbase products and the CMT Program.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Advanced experience of executing CMT program, testing plan, and activities across a diverse range of financial services/products
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to write SQL code to support the development, maintenance, and optimization of complex SQL queries and database scripts used in Compliance Monitoring and Testing.
- Working knowledge of laws, regulations, risk management practices for financial services
- Experience in using data extraction and analysis (e.g. including SQL, Tableau, SAS, Snowflake) and/or program language (e.g., Python)
- Track record of delivering work outcome to budget and meet quality standard
- Hands-on involvement in developing and producing metrics and reporting
- Proficient in PowerPoint/Google Slides and Excel/Google Sheets
- A BA/BS degree in business, finance, and other related fields
Nice to haves:
- Experience with and/or keen interest in cryptocurrency
- Experience working across multiple AML systems and programs simultaneously (e.g., experience in combinations of KYC, AML, and Sanctions)
- Experience with or previous exposure to financial services regulators
- Professional certifications (e.g. CRCM, CAMS, CIA, CISA, and CICA)
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?