Los Angeles, CA, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Gauntlet leads the field in quantitative research and optimization of DeFi economics. We manage market risk, optimize growth, and ensure economic safety for protocols facilitating the majority of spot trading, borrowing, and lending activity across all of DeFi, protecting and optimizing the largest protocols and networks in the industry. As of January 2024 Gauntlet manages risk and incentives covering over $13 billion in customer TVL.
Gauntlet continually publishes cutting-edge research that informs our risk models, alerts, and analysis, and is among the most cited institution — including academic institutions — in terms of peer-reviewed papers addressing DeFi as a subject. We’re a Series B company with around 60 employees, operating remote-first with a home base in New York City.
Gauntlet’s mission is to drive adoption and understanding in the financial systems of the future. Building with decentralized systems creates novel challenges for mechanism designers, smart contract developers, and end-users of financial products, which are not seen in traditional software development and investing contexts. Gauntlet is dedicated to enhancing our industry’s understanding of this new domain, and revealing how to safely navigate the true bleeding edge of 21st century financial innovation.
In order to grow our impact in the DeFi space we are looking to hire experienced Data Scientists to help new and established protocols better understand the systems they’ve built. This role will require establishing a strong ability to analyze and interpret data; as well as the ability to collaborate with and manage external clients. You will be working directly with the premier and innovative DeFi protocols and developing expert-level knowledge and experience of the mechanisms that underpin the DeFi industry.
- Perform in depth novel research into how to make premier DeFi protocols safer and more efficient through mechanism design, data analysis, and dynamic parameter optimization.
- Take ownership of client engagements, scoping out work, managing client relationships, and delivering value to clients through your research and work.
- Draft and write engaging research for public consumption both to grow Gauntlet’s Brand as well as to satisfy client requirements
- Build and deploy easy-to-understand and visually compelling dashboards for internal and external consumption
- 4+ years of professional experience
- Extremely clear and effective communication and client management skills
- Proven track record of drawing deep insights from complex datasets
- Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and/or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R)
- Ability to work independently working towards abstract goals
- Experience working with pricing models, financial products and/or different asset classes
- Experience working in the crypto industry is a big plus.
- Enthusiasm for the space, especially DeFi, is very much desired
- Experience with derivatives style products
- Experience managing external client relationships
- Published or presented research in the space
Benefits and Perks
- Remote first - work from anywhere in the US & CAN!
- Regular in-person company retreats and cross-country "office visit" perk
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision premiums for employees
- Laptop, monitor, keyboard and mouse setup provided
- $1,000 WFH stipend
- Monthly reimbursement for home internet, phone, and cellular data
- Unlimited vacation
- 100% paid parental leave of 12 weeks
- Fertility benefits
- Opportunity for incentive compensation
Please note at this time our hiring is reserved for potential employees who are able to work within the contiguous United States and Canada. Should you need alternative accommodations, please note that in your application.
The national pay range for this role is $135,000 - $180,000 base plus additional On Target Earnings potential by level and equity in the company. Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for a company of our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide. Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.