Group Product Manager, Data Governance
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase has a diverse data environment that processes a wide range of information for our customers. We are in search of a visionary to join the team in elevating our enterprise data governance program to the next level.
The mission of the data governance program at Coinbase is to drive adoption of a data fluent culture by implementing industry leading standards, frameworks, and tools.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Lead Product Development for data governance, conceiving, building, and launching user-focused, high-quality products that empower our enterprise to meet Data Governance goals
- Lead the efforts of a cross-functional core data governance team of experienced product managers and technical program managers.
- Work closely with fellow engineering, design, and business leadership to define our product vision and strategy for Data Governance
- Execute efficiently in a fast-paced, fluid start-up environment where change is constant and creativity is a must
- Write technical PRDs, manage technical backlogs, and effectively prioritize new features vs. tech debt. Work with a full-stack engineering team to build innovative, world-class internal products
- Engage with C-suite execs and senior stakeholders to advocate for the data governance program.
- Expand the rollout of Coinbase’s Data Governance Operating Model to additional business units within the company.
- Provide technical and strategic direction to teams to deploy, integrate, and maintain tools required to enable production data quality, change management, data lineage, metadata management, data access, classification, retention, usage, and data contracts at scale.
- Design and implement the global operating framework for data governance in multiple countries within the EMEA and APAC regions.
- Interface in higher level forums such as board meetings and Enterprise Risk working groups to ensure execs are regularly updated at the right cadence.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 10+ years of experience working with data architects, including 5+ years of Product Management experience
- A track record of building exceptional products that delight your users and produce clear business impact
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects affecting many functions, including product, engineering, finance, compliance, and support. Ability to direct major cross-functional initiatives with effective prioritization and influence
- Experience collecting both internal and external customer feedback and requests, empathizing with their challenges and opportunities, and prioritizing roadmaps to optimize results
- Passion for cryptocurrency, financial markets, and the Coinbase mission
- Experience deploying, integrating, and maintaining tools required to enable production data quality, change management, data lineage, metadata management, data access, classification, retention, usage, and data contracts at scale.
- Experience creating or overhauling enterprise data governance with a focus on enabling and delivering data informed business and product insights.
- Be able to explain how to select the best data management strategies for enabling mission-driven access to data.
- Experience building a data “fluent” culture that is foundational for efficient creation and use of accurate data as a strategic asset.
- Demonstrated leadership in designing data governance models, policies, and measuring effectiveness of enterprise data governance programs.
Nice to haves:
- Financial technology or cryptocurrency industry experience.
- Experience participating in industry wide data governance forums.
- Deep knowledge in managing structured and unstructured data in data systems such as Snowflake, Databricks, MongoDB, Salesforce, GSuite, etc.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $236,725 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?