General Counsel, Mento Labs
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2022
At Mento Labs we aim to create a world in which the economy is denominated in local stable assets and to enable real world adoption of digital currencies. To build sustainable stable assets and a platform that is used and loved by people and institutions around the world, we need to build a team with many different perspectives and experiences. Mento Labs is a technical powerhouse that combines engineering and economic excellence dedicated to building out the open and decentralized Mento platform and ecosystem.
As General Counsel, you will develop, build, and lead the overall legal and regulatory strategy for Mento Labs and with that shape the Mento platform. This will include acting as a strategic partner to the CEO and executive team members on legal matters, and advising on a wide range of legal issues, including complex regulatory aspects. The ideal candidate is a clear communicator, highly analytical, and possesses the necessary skills and experience to work effectively in a team.
- Reviews, researches, interprets and prepares both written and oral opinions on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, contracts, bylaws, and other legal documents
- Mitigate risk and provide business-oriented solutions across the company for complex, high-stakes matters
- Partner with relevant local, state, federal, and international government constituents
- Advise on a wide range of legal issues, including complex regulatory aspects.
- Provide practical and strategic advice to business clients, with the ability to summarize and communicate complex legal concepts to make them operational and usable for the business.
- Develop and implement legal guidelines, processes, and policies.
- Remain current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to support the continuous improvement of legal support and processes.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced law degree with admission to practice law in Germany.
- 10 years of relevant experience, either in-house or at a law firm, with a focus on contracts, processes, and policies.
- Experience working on many different projects simultaneously, with the ability and skill to prioritize.
- Experience building consensus across cross-functional stakeholders.
- Comfortable and adept at balancing legal risk and thinking creatively to affect business needs.
- Team-oriented with excellent judgment and a positive attitude.
- Highly organized and responsive to tight deadlines.
- Experience and interest in blockchain, decentralized ledger technology, and cryptocurrencies preferred.
- Experience in the payments field preferred, ideally experience with so-called stablecoins.
- Simultaneously an independent analytical thinker and high-energy team player.
- Ability to manage the details without losing sight of the big picture.
cLabs ("Celo Labs") started Celo in 2017 and is one of many contributors to the open source project Celo. cLabs builds financial technology to enable prosperity of all beings.
To build technology and products that are used and loved by people and solve real-world problems, we need to build a team with many different perspectives and experiences. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)celo.org. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.